I hope you are finding yourself warm surrounded by beauty today as you hop along with all the Clique Kits Design Team Members. (I don’t know about you but I am so ready for warmer weather. Of course coming from Hawaii this summer, this is my first real winter in 6 years. I am just not used to the concept of winter being more than a week, and I find it quite sad. The cold and I just don’t get along. Thanks Goodness for hot coffee because it has kept me company during many of these cold mornings!!)
You should have come from Reku’s Blog and I bet you learned so much about her!! Isn’t she so much fun?!!
I will make sure down below the Design Team Blog Hop Line Up is posted. That way if you happen to get lost you can find your way through the hop. I am really excited to get to know all the amazing ladies and crafters I will be working with this term.
I was just thinking about when I first started scrapbooking a little over three years ago, this February. I was so obsessed with consuming so much of the scrapbooking knowledge I could find throughout the social media online world. Back then I couldn’t watch enough Tracy Banks (Mercy Tiara), Irit, Sandy (Ohsnapgonzo), Lisa (Maggie Mylow), Jill Sprott, Shimelle and many other Two Peas ladies. I was so inspired by them that I just had to share the things I was making. I seriously just jumped into this scrapbooking world that I really didn’t know much about. It wasn’t long before I got immersed in the scrapbooking community sharing and learning and building relationships with so many scrapbookers. Many of these ladies still have made a big impact on me and how I scrap today.
Even today, three years later, I am still so in love with scrapbooking. I may not be infatuated with scrapbooking like when I first started, but I still hunger and crave to touch paper everyday. Though sometimes being an adult has to come first, scrapbooking has just become a part of me. I am a storytelling, memory keeper and family historian who uses pictures and paper to tell those stories. Some of these stories are big moments and some are just pretty little moments that remind me to stop and smell the roses.
I never even imagined three years ago that I would be able to be where I am now on this scrapbooking journey I am on. It’s an amazing wild and fun and awesome ride I am on and I am loving it. I am loving be inspired by the little things and the big things in my life!
Okay let’s get to know a little more about me with some fun little facts
- What is your Favorite color? Right now I have been so inspired with teal and grey and a touch of pink. I am buying clothes these colors, organizing my scrap room these colors and I may be purchasing these colors more over other colors too. (Though I really just love all colors, it’s really hard to pick a fave color for all time 😉 )
- What is you favorite song right? Since I scrap mostly listening to music I love this question. A few of my fave songs that get me moving on my play list are, ‘Empy Gold’ by Halsey, ‘Hurricane’ by MsMr, ‘Let Me Love You’ by Justin Bieber, and ‘We Don’t Talk Anymore” Charlie Puth . If I want to listen to some classics I will pull out some Hanson (This Time Around), The Who, and POD just to name a few. I think I will stop before I end up naming all the songs I love!!
- Who inspires me? This is a hard question, because I am inspired by so many people. My daughter, Leilani inspires me as she smiled and played through Chemo treatments. My friend Jenney inspires me as she lives with having to control the thoughts in her head that try to destroy her life. She has dealt with mental illness and I have seen her conquer and defeat it with grace and poise and in her own way, not taking no as answer. I am inspired by my grandmother who has been able to see and be a part of women having voices and choices. She stood up for herself and her family doing what she needed to without handouts and worked hard. She is one of the strongest people I know. People like Joan Of Arc inspire me, many years later we still hear about this young woman who wasn’t afraid to stay up for what she thought was right! She took on so many things and stood tall. She took that faith with her tis death, many people wouldn’t do that. When staring death in the face we tend to back down and she didn’t, she didn’t let anyone tell her what to believe. That fire, so inspires me!! I also am inspired by so many crafters that I have gotten to know these passed few years, ladies like Victoria Calvin, Jen Schow, Susie Fishburne are just a few strong women taking a stand for crafting their story and going back to others. Another Big inspiration is Amy Tan. (I will share a little more about this later with my layout)
- Favorite Book? This year a few of my favorite books have been Gemina (Illuminea Series), The Martian and A Court of Thorns and Roses.
- Favorite Movie? Of all time my favorite movies are Back to the Future, and I am actually going to pick a show that I watched this past fall, Containment.
- Favorite Snack? Umm is there a choice here, chocolate. Of any kind!! Pair that with a glass of wine and you are my new best friend 😉 HAHA, just joking, sort of. I really love chocolate and wine together combo.
- What is your favorite food? Fried dough pizza. No Parmesan cheese! I don’t get it often. Actually I think my mom was the last one to make this for me. She used to make this for me on my birthday because I loved it so much. Oh man, now I am hungry.
- Where would you like to visit someday? I am a big family ancestry researcher. I would love to go to Germany and find where my Grandfather’s family came from before heading to Upstate New York. Plus Germany is just so pretty. My next second is a tour of England, Ireland and Scotland.
- Who got you into scrapbooking? My husband was the one who suggested it to me to try. He may now mildly regret asking me, if he had realized how much money I would spend. Though I know he is happy knowing I have something that is for me, plus it uses all those photos I take 😉
- Fave Manufacturer? I really love Crate Paper. I love the mix of vintage with a modern flair. (American Crafts is probably number two, because I really love Dear Lizzy and I adore Shimelle.) Though It really is hard to pick between companies and styles, because I like to mix things up.
Here a quite look at the layout I made for this Design Team Hop.
We were asked to make a layout that shared our styles and a bit about us.
I decided to pull out some mixed media, in the form of watercolors. I really love adding something colorful or playful on my layouts. I did a technique that is one of my favorites. I used a stencil with a pen and traced it to add a pattern on my background. On top of the watercolor it really looks striking. Paired with some Shimmerz Dazzlerz paste with a silkscreen, I get a unique background that you can’t just buy in the store.
I love that thought that I have something in my album that is unique and me on a page. Mixed media is more about what you feel in the moment. Mixing what flows from the paintbrush or palette with your emotions at the time, creates something different each time you come to your scrap desk.
I backed this on some Pink Fresh Studio pattern paper. I used lots of layers behind my photo. I added some foam in between the layers to create dimension and shadows in these layers. There is something fun about mixing and matching bits of paper and making them fit together to create something cohesive and beautiful.
I tucked in some ephemera, washi tape and stickers in the layers.
I mixed the fonts for the title so it would stand out. Plus it just says fun to me, and really I like to have fun when I am documenting my memories.
Take this layout, I am using a photo that I have been putting off scrapbooking. I think I wanted to make sure I had the “perfect” papers, embellishments and set up to tell this story. Which is definitely not how it works, right?! We can never have a perfect everything to tell a story except for right now. If it inspiring you right now, it should be told. Whether it’s a small moment in time from your life, like a flower from your garden, a fallen leaf with frost or the lego toy your son put together on his own. It could be big moments, like when your child gets married, telling the story about aunt’s passing and how that brought your family together, or your Childhood best friend. All these memories, pictures and stories are perfect the minute they come to mind.
I seen this photo of Amy Tan and I. This day I knew it was time to scrap it. It makes me smile. I remember the breezy drive down H1 to get into downtown Honolulu. I remember seeing many familiar faces and many new faces, from the last time meeting in this conference room. I remember see Amy in that flows dress watching her son playing on the floor with his cars, smiling. I remember so much from that afternoon just from looking at that photo. These things are things I don’t want to forget.
Taking a class with Amy Tan is amazing. She just leaks inspiration and passion. When I see what she does and how crafting really is everything to her, I think, I want to be just like her when I grow up!! I want others around me to be inspired to tell their stories when they look at the things I share. When I talk with them and I tell my story, I want them to feel that passion for getting these moments that mean so much to us down on paper, however that looks to them.
Taking those two classes were so worth the money I paid. I left feeling refreshed and ready to keep sharing. Ready to keep crafting and being creative. I love that Amy really pulls this out of those around her.
If there is one thing I am sad about leaving Hawaii, is the fact I won’t be able to take classes with her there. Hopefully I will get the chance to see her again and borrow a little more of her enthusiasm for story telling and staying creative.
When making this layout, I really wanted that emotion to come through, fun, passion and creative!
You can watch my Youtube Process video down below too.
I hope you continue through this Design Team Hop and get to know the rest of the Clique Kits Design Team. My good friend and amazingly inspiring friend Victoria Calvin is next to visit. Enjoy her post and soak up all the knowledge and passion she shares today!!
2017 Design Team
Maryam Perez http://maryamperez.blogspot.com/
Melissa Elsner http://theprofoundbrunette.com
Vincenza (Enza) Gudor https://creativefindingsblog.wordpress.com/
Caroli Schulz www.carolinaschulz.com
Nathalie DeSousa http://tachita55.blogspot.ca/
Candace Perkins http://findingeverydayperfection.com/
Audrey Yeager http://audreysreflection.blogspot.ca/
Stephanie Gold http://goldensimplicity.com/
Nicole Martel http://nicolemartel.blogspot.com/
Donna Espiritu http://scrappydonna.blogspot.com/
Reka Turoczi http://laceandcase.blogspot.hu/
>>> Hannah Lemieux https://scrapbookpagesandcupcakes.com/<<< YOU ARE HERE
Victoria Calvin https://victoriamarieblog.com/
Taina “Evi” Cortes http://www.lifewithevi.com/blog
Sheryl Banares www.sherylbanares.com/
Have an Inspired Day!!
PS If you decide to shop at the Clique Kits Store (there is a ton of cute stuff in there right now too) Use my code Hannah10 to get a 10% discount.